The Subaru brand was applied to Fuji Heavy Industries (FHI) first car, the 1500 or P-1, in 1954. Since then, Subaru has increasingly been the best known part of FHI, which also made planes in the past and defence, aerospace and transportation equipment today.
In the past, Subaru was regarded a homely brand, best suited to farm or country life. This changed in the late 80s and early 90s when the company’s widescale adoption of all-wheel drive and participation in the World Rally Championship lead to a cult performance following.
Since that point, most of its internationally sold vehicles have featured a boxer engine and all-wheel drive.
News, Reviews, Features
- 2022 Subaru WRX: Levorg sedan has controversial design, 2.4L turbo
- 2022 Subaru Forester facelift: Ugly new headlights, better safety
- 2022 Subaru Ascent Onyx Edition: Blacked out gangsta 7-seat SUV
- 2021 Toyota 86 vs Subaru BRZ: Differences and changes compared
- 2022 Subaru Outback Wilderness: Better offroad, but much uglier
- 2022 Subaru BRZ vs 2012-2021: 1st & 2nd generation differences
- 2021 Subaru BRZ says "Sayonara Europe" because of CO2 emissions
- 2021 Subaru Levorg vs Impreza: Differences & changes compared
- Subaru: Entire range will be electrified (not fully electric) by mid-2030s
- 2020 Subaru Impreza XV e-Boxer: Company finally joins hybrid party
- Subaru's first electric car teased: SUV due before 2025, maybe not for US
- 2020 Subaru Levorg previewed by prototype, looks sexier than before
- 2020 Subaru Impreza: Subtle facelift, more equipment, $100 increase
- 2020 Subaru Outback: Same looks, new platform and turbo engine
- 2020 Subaru Outback vs 2018-2019 facelift: Differences compared
- Subaru Forester, Crosstrek are too popular, so don't need the 2.4L turbo
- 2020 Subaru Legacy vs 2015-2019: Differences compared side by side
- 2020 Subaru Legacy: Large portrait touchscreen, new platform
- 2019 Subaru WRX STI and WRX Series.Gray unveiled at Boxerfest
- Valet parks Porsche 911 convertible under Subaru in Sydney, is cut out
- 2018 Subaru XV/Crosstrek vs Impreza: Differences in photo comparison
- 2018 Subaru Outback vs 2017: See facelift changes in photo comparison
- 2018 Subaru Impreza Crosstrek: XV name for mini-Outback gone in USA
- 2017 Subaru Impreza XV: New generation has tough looks, tall suspension
- 2018 Subaru Legacy vs 2017 Legacy: Facelift changes shown side by side
- 2017 Subaru Impreza wins Japanese Car of the Year
- 2017 Subaru Impreza: $18k starting, first to be US made, has 5-sp manual
- Subaru WRX etymology: What does its name mean, letters stand for?
- 2017 Subaru BRZ Series Yellow: Brembo, Sachs, leather standard
- Fuji Heavy Industries to be Subaru Corporation for 100th birthday
- 2017 Subaru Impreza: New platform, same disappointment
- Subaru etymology: What does its name mean?
- Subaru BRZ etymology: What does its name mean?
- 2015 Subaru Impreza Sedan Concept: Sexy as WRX Concept
- Subaru Viziv: What does its name mean?
- Subaru Impreza 5-Door Concept previews 2017 Impreza
- Subaru Levorg: What does its name mean?
- 2015 Subaru Impreza Concept will be sexier than 2017 car
- 2019 Subaru Forester previewed by Viziv Future Concept?
- Subuaru WRX STI, BRZ Hyperblue special editions on sale
- Subaru BRZ STI Performance Concept isn't turbocharged
- Subaru USA sells 500,000 cars in one year for the first time
- Subaru XV Crosstrek: Plans for US manufacture dropped
- MY2015 Subaru Outback hands-on: bigger body and less ugly