Founded in 1857 by Alexander Wilson as Alex Wilson and Company, the company was primarily involved in the manufacture of pumps and marine engines. In 1897 it adopted the name Vauxhall Iron Works and in 1903 it built its first car.
Bought out in 1925 by General Motors, the company was seen as luxury brand prior to World War II. In 1930 it established Beford to be its commercial vehicle brand. Since the late 1970s and 1980s, most Vauxhall vehicles have been rebadged Opels, although it has retailed rear-wheel drive Holdens under its VXR performance badge recently.
Due to consistent losses since the turn of the millennium, GM sold Vauxhall and Opel to Group PSA, owners of Peugeot and Citroen, in 2017. Within a year, PSA turned Opel/Vauxhall around to profitability.
News, Reviews, Features
- 2021 Vauxhall/Opel Combo-e: Electric van with 275km (171mi) range
- 2021 Vauxhall Crossland vs 2017-2020: Facelift changes & differences
- 2023 Opel/Vauxhall Insignia will become minivan/SUV hybrid
- 2020 Vauxhall Grandland X Hybrid: FWD plug-in option added to SUV
- 2020 Opel/Vauxhall Insignia facelift has new lights and little else
- Fiat Chrysler and Peugeot-Citroen-Opel-Vauxhall plan to merge
- Vauxhall Insignia Sports Tourer & Viva axed in the UK
- 2020 Vauxhall Corsa: New model now based on Peugeot 208
- New Vauxhall Astra enters production from 2021, but maybe not in the UK
- 2019 Vauxhall/Opel Grandland X Hybrid4 debuts plug-in hybrid powertrain
- 2019 Opel Zafira Life / Vauxhall Vivaro Life: New van-based minivans debut
- Opel/Vauxhall Adam, Karl/Viva and Cascada axed, on sale until late 2019
- Opel / Vauxhall GT-X Experimental: Electric SUV spells out new design direction
- Vauxhall Cascada axed in UK, Ireland; soft top lives on as Opel, Buick, Holden
- 2017 Chevrolet Bolt vs Opel/Vauxhall Ampera-e: Sibling differences
- 2018 Opel/Vauxhall Grandland X: FWD SUV based on Peugeot platform
- 2017 Opel Insignia Sports Tourer: 2018 Buick Regal wagon is super sexy
- 2017 Opel/Vauxhall Insignia: Bigger, lighter, will be 2018 Buick Regal in US
- Vauxhall etymology: What does its name mean?
- Opel/Buick/Holden Cascada etymology: What does its name mean?
- Vauxhall Ampera-e, Holden Bolt ruled out: No RHD for BEV Chevy
- Opel/Vauxhall Ampera-e: Re-nosed Chevrolet Bolt for Europe
- Vauxhall Maloo LSA: World's fastest pickup now on sale in UK
- Vauxhall Viva/Opel Karl to slot in underneath Adam
- Opel/Vauxhall Ampera to exit European market due to poor sales
- 2015 Opel/Vauxhall Corsa E: facelift looks sort of new, is sort of old