Renault was founded in 1899 by three brothers Louis, Marcel and Ferdnand Renault. While Marcel and Ferdnand ran the business, it was Louis Renault who engineered most of the company’s early cars.
Today the company controls the Romanian car maker Dacia, as well as Korea’s Samsung Automobiles (now sold under the Renault Samsung brand). Renault also owns a controlling stake Nissan, in turn the Japanese automaker has a large share in the French company.
The two companies, as part of the Renault-Nissan Alliance, are now tightly intertwined with shared platforms and a common CEO, although both companies still maintain separate corporate structures, headquarters and boards.
News, Reviews, Features
- Renault Twingo will be replaced by larger electric Renault 5
- Renault Morphoz concept previews first EV SUV, new platform
- 2020 Renault Twingo ZE is a funky version of the Smart ForFour EQ
- 2020 Renault Triber: Sub-4m SUV designed for India's tax rules
- 2019 Renault Master ZE: Big electric van has 119km (74mi) range
- Renault Ez-Flex concept: Small boxy electric van has plenty of space
- 2019 Renault Koleos vs 2016-2018: Facelift changes & differences
- Fiat Chrysler withdraws Renault merger offer due to French government
- 2019 Renault Clio V: New CMF-B platform, 9.3" touchscreen
- 2019 Renault Twingo facelift: New face, hatch handle, but not for the UK
- Renault Twingo axed in the UK: Facelift model won't be made in RHD
- Smart will die if Renault kills Twingo-ForFour joint venture
- 2019 Renault Kadjar vs 2015-2018: Facelift differences side by side
- Renault KZ-E: A cheap Kwid based electric SUV coming to China first
- 2019 Renault Arkana coupe SUV to be sold in Russia, Asia, not Europe
- 2019 Nissan Frontier (D23) goes into production in Argentina at Renault plant
- 2019 Renault Megane RS Trophy: Even more power for hot hatch
- 2017 Nissan Micra vs Renault Clio: Differences in photo comparison
- Carlos Ghosn steps down as Nissan CEO to focus on Mitsubishi, Renault
- Renault Zoe etymology: What does its name mean?
- Renault etymology: What does its name mean? Who is it named after?
- Renault Twingo RS: Almost impossible out due to small engine bay
- Renault Alaskan etymology: What does its name mean?
- 2017 Renault Clio IV facelift: New LED lights, 1.5L diesel
- 2016 Renault Twingo GT: 82kW/110hp RWD pocket rocket
- Renault Clio etymology: What does its name mean?
- 2016 Renault Grand Scenic IV: 23cm longer minivan still looks good
- 2017 Renault Koleos: Larger second-gen SUV more off-roader like
- Renault Scenic IV: 20-inch alloys, sexy looks standard
- 2016 Renault Megane IV estate: four wheel steering optional
- Renault Kwid Climber and Racer concepts debut in New Delhi
- Dongfeng Renault opens first Chinese plant, will build Kadjars
- Renault Alaskan concept: French nose on NP300 Navara
- Renault Kadjar: what does its name mean?
- New Mitsubishi Galant to be based on Korean Renault Latitude
- Next Mitsubishi Lancer to be based on Renault/Nissan model