Lincoln was founded by the father and son duo, Henry and Wilfred Leland in 1917. Henry was once manager of GM’s Cadillac division.
Going into bankruptcy in 1922, the company was purchased by Ford, who allowed it flourish into a successful competitor to Cadillac.
In 1940, the Continental, the company’s most famous nameplate, was born as a stylish luxury car commissioned by Edsel Ford, so that he would have a fashionably European car to drive around on his holidays.
Lincoln was merged with Mercury to create Ford’s upscale Lincoln-Mercury motoring division. Lincoln reached its heyday in the late 1960s and early 1970s before fuel prices escalated, and American motor companies were caught flat footed.
News, Reviews, Features
- 2021 Lincoln Nautilus update: New interior, 13.2-in Sync 4 touchscreen
- Lincoln won't be launching in Europe any time soon
- Ford Fusion and Lincoln MKZ production ended July 31, 2020
- Lincoln Continental axed: Production ends 2020, will continue on in China
- Lincoln MKZ axed: Production to end mid-2020
- 2020 Lincoln Aviator gains heated wipers to keep windows clean in snow
- 2021 Lincoln Corsair Grand Touring: Plug-in hybrid with electric AWD
- Ford Flex production ends November 25, Lincoln MKT already dead
- 2020 Lincoln Continental Coach Door: Run extended for another 150 cars
- Lincoln Continental production to end 2021 replaced by two electric SUVs
- 2020 Lincoln Corsair: Turbo 4-cylinders only, no hybrids for luxury Escape
- 2020 Ford Escape vs Lincoln Corsair: Differences compared side by side
- 2021 Lincoln Continental Coach Door Edition confirmed, 2020 car sold out
- 2020 Ford Explorer vs Lincoln Aviator: Differences compared side by side
- Lincoln MKT to survive after Aviator launch, will serve livery and fleet users
- Lincoln Nautilus etymology: What does its name mean and come from?
- Lincoln Continental axed in 2022, Lincoln to have of all SUV range?
- 2018 Lincoln Navigator: Matthew McConaughey can drum in one
- 2019 Lincoln Nautilus vs 2016-18 MKX: Facelift differences and changes
- 2019 vs 2015-2018 Lincoln MKC: Facelift changes side by side comparison
- Ford says Lynk & Co sounds too similar to Lincoln, will contest name
- 2020 Ford Escape, Lincoln MKC plugin hybrids due in 2019
- 2020 Ford Expedition and Lincoln Navigator hybrids due in 2019
- 2018 Lincoln Navigator Extended Length: Extra foot for passengers, trunk
- 2018 Lincoln Navigator vs 2016 Concept: Differences side-by-side
- 2018 Lincoln Navigator: Expedition twin with Raptor engine, unique interior
- 2018 Lincoln Navigator vs Ford Expedition: Sibling differences
- 2017 Lincoln Continental: Annie Leibovitz photos attempt to woo the 1%
- Lincoln Motor Co. etymology: Why is it named after Abraham Lincoln?
- Lincoln Zephyr name trademarked; returns on 2019 MKZ replacement?
- 2017 Lincoln Continental: Priced from $45.5k to $82k
- 2018 Lincoln Navigator previewed by gullwing concept in New York
- Lincoln Continental: Buries MKS, isn't a languid RWD cruiser
- Lincoln MKZ etymology: What does its name mean?
- 2017 Lincoln MKZ facelift: Continental nose job, 3L turbo V6
- Lincoln MKS will die in 2016, replaced by Continental
- Lincoln considering a return to model names, like Continental
- Lincoln Continental Concept: previews 2016 sedan, new grille
- Lincoln's dedicated D6 FWD, AWD, RWD platform due in 2019
- Lincoln Navigator, Ford Expedition: likely switch aluminium for 2016
- 2015 Lincoln Navigator facelift ditches V8 for 3.5L twin turbo V6