Jeep traces its origins back to 1941 when Willys Overland began producing the hardy MB open-top vehicle for the US military for use in World War II.
After the war, a civilian version (the CJ or Civilian Jeep) was produced and whose closest descendant today is the Jeep Wrangler.
The brand has been through a litany of owners: Willys was sold to Kaiser in 1953; AMC (American Motors Corporation) bought the Jeep brand in 1970 form Kaiser; AMC was itself bought out by Chrysler in 1987; Chrysler became part of Daimler-Benz in 1998 before becoming independent again in 2007; and finally Chrysler became an arm of Fiat in 2009 after the former’s bankruptcy.
News, Reviews, Features
- 2022 Jeep Compass vs Alfa Romeo Tonale: Differences & changes
- Jeep Wrangler Magneto: Electric 4x4 concept has a crazy 6-speed manual!
- 2022 Jeep Wagoneer vs Grand Wagoneer: Differences compared
- 2022 Jeep Wagoneer/Grand Wagooner: A super luxury Ram 1500 SUV
- 2021 Jeep Grand Cherokee vs 2011-2020: Changes & differences compared
- 2021 Jeep Grand Cherokee L: New platform, long wheelbase, 7 seats
- 2021 Jeep Wrangler Rubicon 392: V8 finally arrives in offroader
- Jeep Wrangler V8 confirmed: Hold your horses! Look out Bronco!
- Jeep, etc will move onto PSA FWD/AWD platforms after merger
- 2020 Jeep Wrangler pickup to be known as Gladiator
- 2018 Jeep Compass vs 2019 Jeep Cherokee: Sibling differences
- 2019 Jeep Cherokee vs 2014-2018: Facelift differences compared
- 2018 Jeep Grand Cherokee Trackhawk: Hellcat SUV is quickest ever
- Fiat Chrysler may open 400 more dealers to stop sales slide
- MK Jeep Patriot, Compass production has ended after 10 years
- 2016's 10 least reliable cars in the US: All are American, except for a Fiat
- 2019 Jeep Grand Wagoneer could hit $140k, will challenge Range Rover
- 2018 Jeep Compass (Type 551): Dimensions, details and 104 photos
- 2018 Jeep Compass: Buries Patriot, mimics Grand Cherokee, on sale Q1 2017
- Jeep etymology: What does its name mean? What do its letters stand for?
- Fiat Chrysler to end car production in the USA by 2017
- FCA and UAW continue talking, strike threat still present
- GMC VP wants Jeep Wrangler rival, small SUV and more